Holiday Sweet Potatoes with Autumn Apple Fruit Spread
This is one of our favorite side dishes to make for holiday dinners! It doesn’t take long to prepare and, believe it or not, it’s pretty darned tasty spread on a turkey sandwich the day after your get-together. This is also a part of the meal that can be prepared ahead of time and baked right before the party begins so it can be served warm. Our Autumn Apple Fruit Spread adds some natural sweetness and notes of caramel! We have linked to some spices that we love, too. Let us know what you think after you serve this up!
What you’ll need for the base:
- 8 cups peeled and chopped sweet potatoes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 C softened butter
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Autumn Apple Fruit Spread
How to make the base of the casserole:
- Put peeled and chopped sweet potatoes in a stock pot. Cover with water and turn heat up to high until the potatoes reach a boil. Boil for 10-15 minutes, until soft and easily mashable. Keep testing them with a fork.
- Remove potatoes from heat and drain into a colander.
- Place potatoes and the remainder of ingredients into a mixing bowl. Blend together until mostly smooth. Spread into two, 9 inch pie plates.
Now…the topping! What you’ll need:
- 1 C brown sugar
- 1/4 C flour
- 1/2 C melted butter
- 3 TBSP Autumn Apple Fruit Spread
- 1 cup pecans
- Mix all of the ingredients together, except for the pecans. After mixing, the topping should be a thick, syrupy consistency that can be poured.
- Pour over the casserole and gently spread to coat.
- Top with pecans.